Slow Roasted Pork
Lazy afternoon Sundays are the best days to prepare a one pot dish. Here is a fantastic slow roasted pork recipe that suits the day. Enjoy the intoxicating aroma that fills the home while this pork roasts slowly in your oven. Cooked at a low temperature of 300°F for 5½ hours means ample time for having your feet up and enjoying the day. Make the meal complete by simply using your slow cooker to easily make mashed potatoes https://cansanity.com/?page_id=5232.
YIELD : 6 servings
- roast pan or casserole dish with wire rack
For the rub:
- 3½ pound pork roast shoulder or butt (I prefer to use pork shoulder.)
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- optional: 1 teaspoon dried thyme
Ingredients to add in the last hour of roasting:
- 6 medium carrots
- 3 medium onions
- 10 cloves garlic
- 2 sprigs thyme
- ¾ cup white wine pinot grigio or sauvignon blanc
- ¾ cup water
To prepare the roast:
- Mix the kosher salt and pepper (and dried thyme if using) and rub all over the entire roast.
- Cover and place in the fridge overnight or up to 24 hours.
- Remove the roast one hour before roasting to allow the meat to come to room temperature. (This results in a more tender roast.)
- Preheat the oven to 300°F.
- Place the roast on a wire rack set in a roast pan. (Make sure that the roast pan can accommodate the added veggies in the last hour of roasting time.)
- Slow roast for 4-4½ hours.
- Add the remaining ingredients and roast for one additional hour. Stir the vegetables every 20 minutes to encourage even cooking.
- Remove the roast and using tongs or large forks break the roast into 6 large chunks.
- Increase the temperature of the oven to 375°F. Return the pan with the roast pieces and veggies back to the oven and roast an additional 15 minutes.
- Remove the roast and veggies from the oven and transfer to plate. Let rest covered with tin foil for 15 minutes before serving.
Serving: 1servingCalories: 438kcalCarbohydrates: 14gProtein: 61gFat: 11gSaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 167mgSodium: 1342mgPotassium: 1314mgFiber: 3gSugar: 6gVitamin A: 10206IUVitamin C: 10mgCalcium: 59mgIron: 2mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!