Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes
Using a slow cooker for making mashed potatoes is a convenient worry-free way to make the perfect side dish. Yukon Gold potatoes cook initially in chicken broth for either 3-4 hours on high or 6-8 hours on low. And, when they are cooked you just have to mash in butter, cream cheese, milk, salt and pepper, set your slow cooker to warm and serve when the rest of your meal is ready.
- 6-litre slow cooker
- 3 pounds potatoes peeled, (9 cups chopped large) (about 3½ pounds before peeling)
- 1¼ cups chicken broth
- ½ cup butter
- 3 ounces cream cheese about a ⅓ of a block of cream cheese is fine
- ¼-½ cup milk 2%, homogenized or cream
- ½-1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Peel and cube the potatoes. Rinse them in a bowl of cold water, and add them to the slow cooker. Add the chicken broth, cover and cook on high 3-4 hours or on low 6-8 hours, stirring once halfway through cooking.
- In the last 30 minutes of cooking, take your butter, cream cheese and milk out of the refrigerator. Allow these ingredients to come to room temperature.
- When the potatoes are done, add the cream cheese and butter. Let the butter and cheese melt, about one minute, then mash them into the potatoes. If needed, add some milk. Add only enough milk to get the texture that you desire. Season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately or keep warm in the slow cooker. The potatoes will be fine on the "warm" setting, covered for up to 2 hours.
This recipe is easily halved. Use the scroll bar above the "servings" and the ingredient amounts will change.
Calories: 186kcalCarbohydrates: 21gProtein: 3gFat: 10gSaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 29mgSodium: 155mgPotassium: 515mgFiber: 2gSugar: 1gVitamin A: 337IUVitamin C: 22mgCalcium: 30mgIron: 1mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!