Cranberry Meringue Pie
Transform beautiful naturally red cranberries into this visually pleasing and tasty dessert extraordinaire. The cranberry custard made with fresh or frozen cranberries is brilliantly flavoured with orange zest and finely chopped rosemary, which will be sure to please any pie connoisseurs. And, the meringue is the perfect topping to easily add a show stopping design such as a maple leaf. Lemon meringue pie step aside, there is a new meringue pie in town!
YIELD : 8 slices
- 9" pie plate
- optional: cookie cutter to make a decorative shape in the meringue
- hand or stand mixer
To make the cranberry custard:
- 4 cups cranberries rinsed
- 1 cup sugar
- ¾ cup water
- zest of one large orange
- ½ tsp rosemary finely chopped
- ¼ tsp mace
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1½ tbsp water
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 tbsp salted butter
- 4 egg whites at room temperature
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 -9" baked pie shell For an easy pie crust recipe, try the Cansanity "Busy Life Pie Crust" https://cansanity.com/?page_id=2010
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Combine the sugar and ¾ cup of water in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Once the sugar has dissolved, add the cranberries. Cook until the cranberries burst open. Remove from heat and stir in the chopped rosemary, orange zest and mace. Let cool slightly.
- Mix the flour, cornstarch and 1½ tablespoons water in a small bowl. Combine until smooth. Whisk in the egg yolks and combine until smooth.
- Temper the egg yolk mixture by adding in ¼ cup of the warm cranberry mixture. Stir to combine. (This step warms the egg yolks gradually to prevent them from curdling.) Add a second ¼ cup of the warm cranberry mixture and stir again. Now add this mixture to the remaining warm cranberries and stir.
- Return the cranberry mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat and, while stirring constantly, cook for 5 minutes or until the mixture is thickened. It should have a pudding-like consistency. Remove from heat and add the butter and stir until melted.
- Pour the cranberry custard into the baked pie shell.
- Beat the egg whites in a medium bowl at high speed until soft peaks form. Once the soft peaks have started to form start adding the sugar. Add it about a tablespoon at a time while the egg whites are still being beaten. Beat until stiff peaks form.
- Place a maple leaf, heart or star-shaped metal cookie cutter in the center of the pie. Spread the meringue over the top of the pie around the sides of the cookie cutter. Remove the cookie cutter. Bake at 350°F for 20 minutes or until the meringue has turned a golden brown.
Serving: 1-sliceCalories: 214kcalCarbohydrates: 48gProtein: 1gFat: 3gSaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 13mgSodium: 29mgPotassium: 84mgFiber: 3gSugar: 42gVitamin A: 176IUVitamin C: 19mgCalcium: 13mgIron: 1mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
One Reply to “Cranberry Meringue Pie”
I can’t wait to try this! George loves cranberry anything 😉