Cottage Cheese Pie
Here is a unique and delicious pie that is quick and easy to make. Simple and versatile because it can be made sweet or savoury, with or without added fruit, or topped with a smear of warmed jam. Serve this tasty, low-calorie pie at your next afternoon brunch with side salads and enjoy the pleasure you see with your guests. If you are looking for a healthier take on pie, or dessert, give this recipe a try!
YIELD : 8 slices
- 9" pie plate
- 1 cup dry cottage cheese also called pressed. Break apart with a fork and crumble to small pieces. (Cosco sometimes carries it.)
- 1 cup 2 % milk
- 3 large eggs
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- ½ cup raisins these can be omitted or currants can be substituted
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1 pinch cinnamon
- 1 -9" unbaked pie shell for a great recipe for pie pastry check out the Busy Life Pie Crust at https://cansanity.com/?page_id=2010
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Add the pie crust to your 9" pie plate and set aside.
- To a large bowl, add the cottage cheese. Mash it slightly with a fork.
- Stir in the eggs, sugar, milk and lemon juice. Mix well with a whisk. Add the raisins.
- Pour into the pie shell and using a spoon distribute the raisins evenly on the bottom of the pie. Bake at 375°F for 50 minutes. (Cover loosely with foil after 30 minutes of baking to prevent the crust edges from burning.)
- Cool for at least 15 minutes before serving. Serve warm or cold. Refrigerate leftovers and reheat in microwave for 1 minute on high, if desired.
To make a savoury version of this pie, substitute the raisins, sugar, nutmeg and cinnamon with ⅔ cup of sundried tomatoes, 1 tsp of dried oregano, ¼ tsp of ground black pepper, ½ tsp of salt and a pinch of paprika. I make my own oven made sundried tomatoes but you can use oil packed store bought. Just pat the oil off with a towel before chopping.
Serving: 1-sliceCalories: 143kcalCarbohydrates: 22gProtein: 6gFat: 4gSaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 77mgSodium: 139mgPotassium: 169mgFiber: 1gSugar: 15gVitamin A: 168IUVitamin C: 1mgCalcium: 70mgIron: 1mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!