Kids Favourite Slow Cooker Bean Burrito Spread
I remember the first time I made this recipe; my children were in grade school. I thought it would be a healthy option to add to our meals. I thought they would like it but at the time I did not realize how successful the recipe would be. As it turned out, my children loved this recipe so much that they would request to have it every week so that they could bring burritos to school for their lunches. That was many years ago and to this day this is one of their favourite meals. It is so inexpensive and convenient and can be made up in advance and frozen in portions to use a later date. This bean spread is also fantastic dolloped warm onto nacho chips smothered in cheese and toppings.
- 6-litre slow cooker
- 2 onions peeled and quartered
- 3 cups pinto beans rinsed
- ½ fresh jalapeno pepper seeded and chopped fine
- 2 tbsp garlic minced
- 3 tsp table salt
- 1 ¾ tsp ground pepper
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 9 cups water
- Place the onion, rinsed beans, jalapeno, garlic, salt, pepper and cumin into the slow cooker.
- Add the water and stir to combine.
- Cook on high for 8 hours.
- Once the beans have cooked, scoop out a cup of the cooking water and reserve.
- Strain out the rest of the liquid and put all the solids into a large bowl.
- Mash the beans and the other solids with a potato masher and add some of the reserved cooking liquid until you get the consistency you like. Start with just a quarter of the liquid.
To make Bean Burritos:
- Spread ¼-½ cup of the warm pinto bean mixture onto a 9" tortilla. Top with salsa, sour cream, guacamole, and shredded cheese. Fold the bottom up about a third of the way, then roll the tortilla until it is formed as a wrap. Excellent made with homemade tortillas, recipe here: http://cansanity.com/?page_id=244
When the bean mixture cools down completely it will become more firm. To use the next day, warm in the microwave and if too thick you can add a splash of water.
Serving: 1-burrito (bean spread only)Calories: 86kcalCarbohydrates: 16gProtein: 5gFat: 1gSaturated Fat: 1gSodium: 710mgPotassium: 270mgFiber: 5gSugar: 1gVitamin C: 3mgCalcium: 41mgIron: 1mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!