Pork Souvlaki Salad
This delicious dish is an excellent way to load up on those summer veggies and also enjoy juicy, savoury pork souvlaki. It is my go-to recipe when my lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers and red onions are in abundance in my garden. A fantastic recipe when entertaining in the summer because it can be made in under an hour so you can enjoy your time outside with your guests. Great just as is or serve with warmed garlic naan or pita.
- 8 bamboo skewers
- meat thermometer
For the souvlaki:
- 8 bamboo skewers soaked in water 30 minutes before you use them.
- 1½-2 pounds pork tenderloin cut into 1"cubes
- ¼ cup lemon juice freshly squeezed
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbsp oregano dried
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
For the tzatziki:
- 1½ large cucumbers coarsely shredded using the large holes of a box grater
- 3 cups yogurt plain at least 2% fat. If you use Greek yogurt you will have a thicker tzatziki.
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon pepper fine ground
- ¼ teaspoon salt
For the salad:
- 12 cups lettuce rinsed, spun dry and torn into pieces
- 3 cups cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 large cucumber cut into chunks
- 2 medium red onions peeled and sliced into rings
- 1 cup feta cheese
- Garlic naan bread or pita bread
To make the souvlaki:
- Cut the pork tenderloin into 1 inch cubes.
- Mix the marinade of lemon juice, olive oil, minced garlic, dried oregano and salt and pepper. If you have a food processor blend all the ingredients in it.
- Pour the marinade over the pork cubes and let sit at room temperature for 10-20 minutes. (If desired marinate overnight in the fridge, but let the pork come to room temperature before grilling.)
- Preheat the barbecue to 400°F. Grill pork souvlaki for about 20 minutes, making sure to rotate the skewers periodically. (The pork is done when the internal temperature is 155°F.)
To make the tzatziki:
- Grate the cucumbers using the coarse large holes of a box grater. Set the cucumbers over a sieve for 10 minutes.
- Mix the yogurt, olive oil, minced garlic, red wine vinegar and salt and pepper in a medium-sized bowl.
- Squeeze the grated cucumbers to remove some of the excess liquid and then add the cucumber to the rest of the tzatziki ingredients.
To make the salad and assemble the plates:
- Distribute the lettuce among the plates.
- Top lettuce with tomatoes, cucumbers.
- Drizzle some tzatziki over the salad.
- Top with a grilled skewer of souvlaki and crumbled feta cheese.
- Serve with a side of garlic naan bread or pita.
Serving: 1servingCalories: 402kcalCarbohydrates: 17gProtein: 26gFat: 26gSaturated Fat: 8gPolyunsaturated Fat: 2gMonounsaturated Fat: 14gTrans Fat: 0.03gCholesterol: 84mgSodium: 467mgPotassium: 951mgFiber: 3gSugar: 10gVitamin A: 1063IUVitamin C: 25mgCalcium: 269mgIron: 2mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!