Refried Rice with Peas and Carrots
When I am planting peas in the garden in April I often think about this simple but tasty side dish. Then in July when we have bowlfuls of garden fresh peas and carrots and young yellow onions, I make this dish at least once a week. Colourful and full of delicious flavour and texture it can be served as a light meal for lunch or as a nice side dish to grilled meat or fish. Freeze your garden bounty and enjoy it all year long!
- 1 large non-stick frying pan or wok
- cutting board
- 1 large bowl
- 1 cup peas garden fresh or frozen
- 2 medium carrots peeled, sliced and then quartered
- 2 small onions peeled and diced
- 3 large eggs
- 1½ tbsp canola oil
- 1½ tbsp sesame oil or more canola oil
- 3-4 cups white rice cooked and cooled. You can cook the rice the night before and use it cold out of the refrigerator the next day.
- 1½ tbsp soy sauce serve with additional soy sauce to taste
- salt and pepper season to taste
- On high, heat 1½ tablespoons of canola oil in the frying pan or wok. Add the diced onion and carrots and sauté for 3-5 minutes until carrots are just starting to soften.
- Add the peas and sauté for an additional minute.
- Remove the vegetables from the pan and put in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Add the eggs and scramble fry. Remove when the eggs are cooked, about 2 minutes. Add to the vegetable mixture.
- Add the 1½ tablespoons of sesame oil to the fry pan. Allow the pan to come up to full temperature. Once the oil is hot add the cold rice and fry until lightly browned and warmed through, about 5 minutes.
- Add the rice to the vegetable egg mixture and then season with 1½ tablespoons of soy sauce. Stir to mix and serve.
Serving: 1servingCalories: 356kcalCarbohydrates: 61gProtein: 9gFat: 8gSaturated Fat: 1gPolyunsaturated Fat: 2gMonounsaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0.02gCholesterol: 70mgSodium: 231mgPotassium: 231mgFiber: 3gSugar: 3gVitamin A: 2788IUVitamin C: 9mgCalcium: 44mgIron: 1mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!