Classic Vanilla Pudding
Here is the perfect pudding for those who appreciate the simple, natural, distinctive flavour of pure vanilla. Savour the silky smooth texture and classic flavour as an afternoon snack or as the perfect ending for a summer time barbecued dinner. Whenever you choose to serve it, take comfort in knowing that this classic treat will never go out of style.
YIELD : 6 servings
- 3-litre heavy bottomed stainless steel pot
- 1 litre (4 cups) half-and-half 10% cream
- 1 vanilla bean split in half and seeds scraped out and reserved
- 4 large egg yolks
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- ⅓ cup sugar for a sweeter version use ½ cup
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup cold unsalted butter diced
- Bring the half-and-half, vanilla bean and reserved seeds to a boil over medium heat. Stir frequently. As soon as the mixture starts to boil, remove from heat and cover with a lid. Set aside and let steep for 20 minutes. Whisk the mixture frequently, every 5 minutes to prevent a skin from forming on the top. Discard the bean pod.
- In a medium bowl, add the egg yolks and the cornstarch and whisk until smooth.
- Add the sugar and salt to the half-and-half and reheat on medium until hot.
- Use a ½ cup measure and slowly add some of the hot milk into the medium bowl with the egg mixture, while whisking continually. Whisk well and then slowly add another ½ cup of the hot milk into the egg mixture. This is called tempering the eggs and it is necessary to do so that the eggs do not curdle.
- Return the tempered egg mixture to the pot and whisk well. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until thickened, about 3-4 minutes. Note, it will be thickened but not yet the consistency of pudding. The pudding will continue to thicken as it cools. Do not boil the mixture because that might curdle the eggs.
- Transfer the pudding to a clean medium-sized bowl and add the butter. Let sit for 2-3 minutes to allow the butter to melt. Whisk the pudding until smooth.
- Cover the pudding with a layer of cellophane. Poke holes in the cellophane to allow heat to escape. Cool. Transfer to the fridge and chill for 2 hours.
- Serve chilled plain or with a spoonful of your favourite berries.
Calories: 379kcalCarbohydrates: 24gProtein: 7gFat: 29gSaturated Fat: 17gCholesterol: 203mgSodium: 122mgPotassium: 222mgFiber: 1gSugar: 11gVitamin A: 971IUVitamin C: 1mgCalcium: 186mgIron: 1mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!