Honey Garlic Marinated Chicken
Here is a fantastic chicken recipe that will quickly become one of your favourites. The chicken is first coated in a delicious honey-garlic marinade made with your choice of Marsala, Madeira, sherry or wine, honey, garlic, soy sauce and seasonings and refrigerated for 2-4 hours. Then simply remove the chicken and either barbecue or roast. While the chicken is cooking, reduce the marinade to a nice thick sauce. Serve this flavourful chicken with a generous drizzle of the honey-garlic sauce and your favourite side of cooked veggies and rice.
YIELD : 8 servings
- 4 pounds bone-in, skin-on chicken pieces chicken thighs or legs work best
- 1½ cups Marsala port, Madeira , dry sherry or red or white wine are good substitutes
- ½ cup low-sodium soy sauce
- ½ cup honey liquid
- 4 cloves garlic peeled and minced
- 1½ teaspoons ground ginger or use 2 tablespoons of grated fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon red pepper chili flakes
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper or use ½ teaspoon of fine ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
Marinate the chicken:
- Cut two- three deep slashes into each chicken piece to allow the marinade to penetrate.
- Whisk the Madeira, soy sauce, honey, garlic, ground ginger, chili flakes, ground pepper and vegetable oil in a medium bowl.
- Add the marinade and chicken to a large Ziploc bag or reusable container. Toss to coat and refrigerate for 2-4 hours. Turn the chicken in the marinade, once or twice during this time.
To cook the chicken:
- Take the chicken out of the fridge 30 minutes before cooking to allow it to come to room temperature.
- Using a barbecue: Preheat the barbecue to medium-high (400° F). When the barbecue is at temperature, place the chicken on the grill. For the thighs, place skin side up.
- Cook for 20 minutes, flip, and cook for another 15 minutes or until the internal temperature of the chicken is 165°F.
- Using an oven: Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- For best results cook on a wire rack set over a baking sheet. Cook for 20 minutes skin side up and then flip the chicken and cook for an additional 10-20 minutes. The chicken is cooked when the internal temperature is 165°F.
Reduce the marinade:
- While the chicken is cooking, pour the marinade into a medium pot. Bring the marinade to a boil over high heat. Cook for 15-18 minutes or until the marinade is thickened.
- Let the chicken rest 10 minutes.
- Pour half the marinade over the cooked chicken and serve with remaining marinade as a dipping sauce.
Calories: 507kcalCarbohydrates: 20gProtein: 30gFat: 30gSaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 116mgSodium: 926mgPotassium: 381mgFiber: 1gSugar: 18gVitamin A: 290IUVitamin C: 3mgCalcium: 28mgIron: 2mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!