Slow Cooker Chili
Everyone should have a basic chili recipe that can be made easily with standard pantry ingredients. This is my basic chili recipe which can be made vegetarian or with browned ground beef. You can customize this recipe by varying the amount of hot peppers and spices, and if you don't have a slow cooker, then you can make it on the stovetop. Enjoy this chili topped with cheddar cheese, with a warm cheddar cheese scone on the side ( https://cansanity.com/?page_id=5641).
YIELD : 8 servings
- 6-litre slow cooker
- 2 cans (796 ml) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (398 ml) black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 can (398 ml) kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms or substitute two cans of drained whole mushrooms
- 2 cups bell pepper medium dice
- ½ jalapeno small dice
- 1½ cups onion medium dice
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1½ tablespoons chili powder I like to use ancho chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pound ground beef browned in a fry pan and drained of fat
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese (not included in the nutritional information)
- If using ground beef, fry until browned and then drain the fat before adding to the slow cooker.
- Add all the ingredients to the slow cooker.
- Cook on high for 5 hours or low for 8.
- If using the stove top, preheat an 8-litre pot with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Add the onions and saute for 5-7 minutes. Add the garlic, and cook for 1 minute. Add the remaining ingredients and cook on medium-low for 2 hours.
- Serve hot topped with grated cheddar cheese.
Serving: 1serving with beef addedCalories: 672kcalCarbohydrates: 122gProtein: 34gFat: 16gSaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 40mgSodium: 4047mgPotassium: 5718mgFiber: 31gSugar: 70gVitamin A: 4865IUVitamin C: 309mgCalcium: 891mgIron: 29mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!