Rutabaga Puff-Canadian Turnip
Explore the potential of rutabaga this winter - the hidden root vegetable of Christmases past! Spice up this sweet, earthy, nutritious veggie with an applesauce twist. The applesauce delightfully flavours this dish and the addition of baking powder reacts to "puff" the casserole, making it a light and airy side dish. This is a great make-ahead option to serve alongside a roast turkey dinner.
- 2-litre casserole dish
- 1 large rutabaga peeled, cubed, cooked and mashed
- 1½ cups unsweetened applesauce
- 1 large egg slightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter melted
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon flour
- salt and pepper to taste
- extra butter for greasing the pan
- Lightly grease the 2-litre casserole dish with butter and preheat the oven to 350°F.
- To the cooked mashed turnip, add the applesauce, egg, brown sugar, melted butter, baking powder, flour and salt and pepper. Mix and add to the prepared 2-litre casserole dish.
- Bake uncovered in a 350°F oven for 35-40 minutes.
Calories: 74kcalCarbohydrates: 13gProtein: 1gFat: 2gSaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 27mgSodium: 176mgPotassium: 190mgFiber: 2gSugar: 9gVitamin A: 91IUVitamin C: 13mgCalcium: 117mgIron: 1mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!