Make unique biscotti this Christmas by adding chopped candied cherries, mixed candied fruit and crushed aniseed. These add a brilliant combination of colour, texture and flavour. I always make these beautiful cookies at Christmas time, but feel free to modify the chopped fruit to currants and candied ginger and change the aniseed to equal amounts of cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg to make it a fall delight.
- 2 baking sheets
- hand-held or stand mixer
- parchment paper
- ½ cup butter or substitute margarine
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 2½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon aniseed or substitute ¼ teaspoon of anise extract. If you do not like the flavour of licorice, leave this out
- 1 cup candied fruit chopped or substitute chopped candied cherries
- optional: 1 tablespoon finely shredded orange peel
Egg wash for brushing the tops of the loaves:
- 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Beat the butter with the electric mixer for about 30 seconds. Add in one cup of the flour, the sugar, whole eggs, egg yolk, baking powder and crushed aniseed.
- Beat until thoroughly combined, scrape the sides of the bowl occasionally. Stir in the remaining flour and, if using, orange peel. Stir in the chopped candied fruit.
- Divide the dough in half and shape each into a 11"x2"x1" loaf. Place on a parchment lined baking sheet. Whisk the egg white, water and sugar to make the egg wash. Brush on both loaves.
- Bake at 375°F for 20-25 minutes or until slightly browned. Remove from the oven and then cool on the baking sheet for 1 hour.
- Cut each loaf on a diagonal into ½" slices. Place the slices cut side down on the baking sheets and bake for a second time at 325°F for 10-15 minutes. Remove cookies and cool on wire racks.
For a drier biscotti, after the second bake, do not remove the cookies. Just turn off the oven, open the oven door so that it is ajar. Leave in the oven until cooled completely.
Serving: 1-biscottiCalories: 105kcalCarbohydrates: 18gProtein: 1gFat: 3gSaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 17mgSodium: 58mgPotassium: 15mgFiber: 1gSugar: 9gVitamin A: 96IUVitamin C: 1mgCalcium: 25mgIron: 1mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!