Peanut (or Soynut) Butter Squares
These beautiful squares simply made with only four ingredients will easily become one of your favourite squares of the holiday season. They have been a tradition in our family for many generations with only one change to the recipe. Because of allergies, we now make them exclusively with soynut butter. If trying them for the first time, consider picking up enough ingredients to make them twice because they will not last long!
- 9"x9" metal pan
- optional: parchment paper
- 10 ounces or a (300g) bag of butterscotch chips if making them peanut free "Great Value" brand found at Walmart does not list peanuts as an ingredient
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 cup peanut butter or soynut butter
- 4 cups coloured mini marshmallows or substitute white mini marshmallows
- Combine the butter, peanut butter (or soynut butter) and the butterscotch chips in a 4-litre pot. While stirring constantly, heat on medium-low until just melted. This should take about 3 minutes. As soon as you see most of the chips melted you can shut off the heat and just keep stirring until they are all melted and the mixture is smooth. (Careful not to bring to a boil because you do not want this mixture boiling hot.)
- Immediately after the butterscotch chip mixture has melted add the 4 cups of coloured marshmallows. Fold in gently with a spatula. Do this gently but quickly. Do not overmix because you do not want the marshmallows to melt.
- Pour the whole mixture into the 9"x9" pan and lightly press on the mixture with the spatula.
- Move to the fridge to cool completely, 2 hours up to 12. (I usually leave it overnight.)
- Cut into 1"-1½" squares with a sharp knife and store in the fridge or freezer.
You can line the pan with parchment paper if you would prefer an easy way to cut the bars. Simply line with an overhang and then when the bars are cooled use the handles to remove the bars from the pan. Cut on a cutting board into squares.
Serving: 1-1½" squareCalories: 66kcalCarbohydrates: 8gProtein: 1gFat: 3gSaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 3mgSodium: 51mgPotassium: 30mgFiber: 1gSugar: 7gVitamin A: 30IUCalcium: 2mgIron: 1mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!