Easy Ground Turkey Tacos
When you make 50 pints or more of salsa every year, you inevitably eat a lot of tacos! We eat tacos at least once every two weeks and making them with ground turkey and white kidney beans makes for a lighter, healthier version. This filling tastes great in wheat or corn tortillas and you can even skip the shell altogether and serve it over a bed of crisp, crunchy lettuce.
YIELD : 10 tacos
- Large nonstick frying pan
- 1 pound ground turkey light or dark meat
- 1 -384ml can white kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 1 medium onion peeled and chopped, small dice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil divided
- ½ whole jalapeno minced
- 1-2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbsp chili pepper I like to use ancho chili pepper
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 8 taco shells hard or soft
- 1 cup cheddar cheese grated
- 1 cup guacamole How to make guacamole recipe video at https://youtu.be/dcrkb5xiQNs
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 cup salsa
- ¼ cup pickled jalapenos
- ½ cup cilantro chopped
- ½ cup tomatoes seeded and chopped
- optional: 1 fresh lime cut in wedges
- Heat one tablespoon of the olive oil in the frying pan over medium heat. Add the ground turkey and cook for 7-10 minutes or until cooked through. Remove from heat and transfer the cooked turkey to a plate and set aside.
- Heat the other tablespoon of olive oil in the frying pan over medium heat. Add the chopped onions and jalapeno and fry for 3-5 minutes or until softened. Add the minced garlic and heat for 30 seconds. Add the chili powder, cumin, and coriander and cook for 30 seconds. Return the ground turkey to the pan and stir to combine.
- Add the rinsed white kidney beans and the chicken stock.
- Simmer uncovered for about 5 minutes, until most of the chicken stock has been absorbed, stir occasionally. Remove from heat.
- For each taco, add some grated cheese then top with ½ cup of the taco meat mixture. Top the this with salsa, guacamole, sour cream, cilantro and pickled jalapenos. Drizzle with a little bit of fresh squeezed lime juice and serve.
Serving: 1taco with shellCalories: 248kcalCarbohydrates: 13gProtein: 16gFat: 16gSaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 43mgSodium: 489mgPotassium: 442mgFiber: 3gSugar: 3gVitamin A: 546IUVitamin C: 8mgCalcium: 121mgIron: 1mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!