Slow Cooker Cabbage Bake
If you love cabbage, you will absolutely love this easy, healthy, hearty meal that can be served straight out of the crock pot. This one-pot meal is wonderful on its own or awesome served with mashed potatoes and a dollop of sour cream. While great served the day it is made, it is excellent as leftovers and freezes exceptionally well. So, the next time you pick up a cabbage at the grocery store, make sure to pick up all the ingredients in this recipe. Trust me - it will quickly become one of your favourite ways to cook with cabbage.
- 6-litre slow cooker
- 1 large green cabbage outer leaves and core removed and cut into 8 wedges
- 8 slices bacon you can either fry the bacon whole and then crumble or chop the bacon into small pieces before frying
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 medium onion chopped fine
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 284 ml can cream of mushroom soup
- 2 284 ml cans (10 fluid ounce) mushrooms drain the liquid of one and save the liquid of the other
- ½ cup beef broth
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- ¼ tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp salt
- Place the cabbage wedges in the slow cooker, rounded side up.
- Fry the beef until no longer pink and then pour into a strainer to drain off the fat.
- To a large frying pan, add the bacon and cook until crispy. Remove from the pan, drain off the drippings but reserve one tablespoon of the drippings. Line a plate with a paper towel and add the bacon, set aside.
- Heat the reserved drippings and add the onion and fry for 3 minutes. Add the garlic and fry for one more minute.
- Return the cooked beef to the fry pan as well as the remaining ingredients and stir to combine.
- Pour the ingredients over the cabbage wedges and cook on high for 4-5 hours or on low for 8 hours.
- Serve with or without a scoop of mashed potatoes and a dollop of sour cream.
Calories: 177kcalCarbohydrates: 11gProtein: 11gFat: 10gSaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 34mgSodium: 478mgPotassium: 444mgFiber: 4gSugar: 5gVitamin A: 196IUVitamin C: 48mgCalcium: 64mgIron: 2mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!