Cranberry Oat Muffins
October is still a great month to savour the flavours of fresh local produce. And, one of my favourite berries available in Ontario is delicious, tart cranberries. If I am lucky to get out to the cranberry bog, I make sure to scoop up a couple of packages so that I can freeze some for baking in the winter months. I like to freeze the berries chopped so that putting this muffin together is quick and easy. Make this moist, fluffy and tart cranberry muffin one of your fall traditions, you won't be disappointed!
- 12-cup muffin tin
- 12 paper liners
To a medium bowl add:
- 1⅓ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp kosher salt substitute regular table salt if you don't have kosher salt
To a large bowl add:
- 2 cups large flake oats
- ¾ cup sour cream for a lower calorie count mix sour cream and 2% plain yogurt to give you ¾ cup or use creme fraiche
- ½ cup whole milk at room temperature
- ½ cup butter melted and cooled
- 2 large eggs slightly beaten with a fork
- 1 cup brown sugar firmly packed
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries chopped
- 2 tbsp large flake oats
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line the muffin tin with the paper liners.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, soda and salt. Set aside.
- To the large bowl, add the oats, sour cream, milk and melted butter. Set aside.
- Beat the eggs slightly with a fork or whisk and add to the large bowl with the wet ingredients and stir to combine. Add the brown sugar.
- Gently stir in the dry ingredients from the medium bowl into the large bowl.
- Fold in the cranberries.
- Fill the muffin cups to the rims. Sprinkle the 2 tablespoons of oats over top of the muffins.
- Bake in a 350°F oven for 30 minutes or until the tops of the muffins are golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Cool the muffins in the muffin tin for 5 minutes before removing and cooling on a baking rack. Serve warm or cool.
If you want to sweeten the chopped cranberries before adding them to your muffins, mix them with ¼ tsp salt and 1 tsp of icing sugar.
Serving: 1muffinCalories: 231kcalCarbohydrates: 41gProtein: 5gFat: 5gSaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 41mgSodium: 275mgPotassium: 158mgFiber: 2gSugar: 20gVitamin A: 173IUVitamin C: 1mgCalcium: 113mgIron: 2mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!