Potato Pizza With Fresh Mozzarella And Rosemary
When it is time to harvest potatoes, it is also time to make this pizza! Layered with fresh mozzarella, thinly sliced potatoes, garlic and rosemary and baked to perfection, this comfort food will be sure to satisfy. It is awesome served freshly baked but also reheats well in the oven the following day. Serve it simply as the recipe states or with a dollop of sour cream, crisp crumbled bacon and chopped scallions. Plain potatoes, step aside, there's a new way to serve you!
YIELD : 4 mini-pizzas
- optional: pizza stone
- baking sheet
- optional: stand mixer
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp instant yeast
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1¼ cups water lukewarm
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp honey
- 1-8 ounces of fresh mozzarella (one fresh ball) thinly sliced
- 2 pounds new potatoes thinly sliced, skin on
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 medium red onion thinly sliced
- 1 cup Gruyere cheese grated
- 2 tbsp fresh rosemary minced
- ¼ tsp fresh ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil to drizzle on the pizza
Optional toppings for the pizza after it is baked:
- 4 tbsp scallions chopped
- 4 slices bacon cooked crisp and crumbled
- ¼ cup sour cream
To make the pizza dough:
- Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl or stand mixer bowl. You might need to add additional water if the humidity in your house and in your flour is low. Form into a ball and place on a floured surface, knead for 5 minutes. The dough should be soft and elastic.
- Grease a large bowl and add the dough ball. Cover with a tea towel and let rise for about an hour.
- Divide the dough ball into four small balls. Stretch into four pizza crusts. Let rest for 15 minutes.
Prepare the pizzas:
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. If using, add the pizza stone and allow it to get hot. If you are not using a pizza stone, lightly oil a baking sheet.
- Once the stone has preheated (about 10 minutes), remove it from the oven. Arrange the four pizza crusts on the stone or on your baking sheet.
- Add a layer of fresh mozzarella, then top with the thinly sliced potatoes.
- Sprinkle the minced garlic, and add a layer of sliced red onions. Top with rosemary and the shredded Gruyere.
- Brush the edges of the pizza crusts with olive oil and sprinkle some kosher salt. This will give a nice crunch and flavour to the pizza bones!
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the edges are golden brown.
- When serving, sprinkle some additional salt and pepper over the pizza and drizzle with olive oil.
- If using, sprinkle some crispy bacon and scallions on top. Dollop a generous tablespoon of sour cream in the center of each pizza and serve!
To reheat, warm in a 350°F oven for 12 minutes.
Serving: 1pizzaCalories: 829kcalCarbohydrates: 121gProtein: 28gFat: 27gSaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 36mgSodium: 864mgPotassium: 1245mgFiber: 11gSugar: 5gVitamin A: 364IUVitamin C: 48mgCalcium: 413mgIron: 7mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!