Pickled Eggs With Hot Peppers
As soon as hot peppers are ready in my garden or available at the farmers market, I like to prepare some of these delicious pickled eggs. They are awesome as a snack and fantastic when you have one of those days when you just can't seem to catch your breath. For instance, when I am canning my salsas and tomatoes in the fall, I don't have a lot of time to stop and make a meal, and so a plate of pickled eggs with some cheese and veggies saves the day!
YIELD : 1-litre
- Large stainless steel pot
- optional: steamer insert for pot to steam eggs
- 4-litre pot
- 1 sterilized quart jar and a plastic lid
- 12 eggs at room temperature. (I usually take mine out of the fridge one hour before steaming them.)
- 1½ tbsp kosher salt
- 4-6 jalapenos or any hot pepper sliced into 6 strips or rings (look for red jalapenos in the fall for a brighter colour in your jar)
- 1½ cups cider vinegar
- ½ cup water
- 1 tbsp ginger fresh, minced
- 1 tbsp yellow mustard seeds
- 1 tbsp black peppercorns crushed
- 2 cloves garlic chopped or sliced
- Boil or steam eggs until hard boiled. (I steam mine for 13 minutes.) Cool in ice water for 15 minutes and remove the shells.
- Pierce the eggs several times with a fork. That will allow the flavour to penetrate deeper into the eggs.
- To the sterilized quart jar, add some of the hot sliced peppers, then add some eggs. Continue to layer with the remaining peppers and eggs until you have filled the jar to within 2" of the top.
- In a 4-litre pot, add the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce the temperature, and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove the pot from the heat and let the liquid cool (about 15-20 minutes.)
- Pour the cool brine over the eggs, making sure that the brine covers the eggs completely. Cap the jar, and refrigerate.
- Wait one week before eating the eggs for best flavour.
If you don't have any jalapenos or fresh hot peppers, you can substitute ¼ cup of Sriracha Hot Chili Sauce. But, reduce the water in the recipe to ¼ cup, omit the mustard seeds and add 2 bay leaves.
Serving: 1- eggCalories: 79kcalCarbohydrates: 2gProtein: 6gFat: 5gSaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 164mgSodium: 937mgPotassium: 118mgFiber: 1gSugar: 1gVitamin A: 318IUVitamin C: 8mgCalcium: 35mgIron: 1mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!