Carrot Cake With Cream Cheese Frosting
In the late summer, fresh carrots are sold by the 10 pound bag at the farmers markets, and this is the time when I can not resist picking up a bag and making everything carrot for a week. This carrot cake is one of my favourite recipes because it can be made in a 9x13 pan or as a layer cake. Moist and packed full of flavour this cake is delicious with or without the frosting, but be warned, frosting it will mean it will disappear fast!
- 2-9" round baking pans (or a tin for muffins)
- parchment paper
- box grater or food processor with chopper blade
For the cake:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1¾ tsp baking soda
- ¾ tsp ground nutmeg
- ¾ tsp ground ginger
- ¾ tsp salt
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup safflower oil or canola oil
- 2½ cups carrots coarsely grated or chopped fine , lightly packed (about 3 large carrots)
- 2 cups brown sugar lightly packed
- 1½ tsp vanilla extract
- optional: ¾ cup toasted walnuts
- optional: ½ cup raisins
- optional: ½-1 cup shredded coconut
For the frosting:
- ½ cup butter
- 1 -8 ounce package of cream cheese
- 3½ cup icing sugar sifted
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ¼ tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F with the rack in the centre position. Butter or grease the bottoms and sides of the pans and flour the sides, tapping out any excess flour. Line the bottom of the pans with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, mix the flour, cinnamon, baking soda, ginger, nutmeg and salt.
- In a large bowl, using a hand mixer, blend the eggs, oil, carrots, sugar and vanilla. (Also add any of the listed optional ingredients, if using.) If you are using a stand mixer, blend with the paddle attachment.
- Mix in the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Pour into the prepared baking pans.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a tooth pick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool the cake on a wire rack in the pan for 15 minutes and then invert to remove and cool completely.
- Cool the cakes completely before frosting.
To make the frosting:
- In a large bowl, blend the butter and cream cheese until smooth.
- Add the icing sugar, salt and vanilla, blend for 2 minutes on medium-high until the frosting is light and fluffy.
Calories: 465kcalCarbohydrates: 68gProtein: 3gFat: 21gSaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 62mgSodium: 374mgPotassium: 135mgFiber: 1gSugar: 54gVitamin A: 3586IUVitamin C: 1mgCalcium: 44mgIron: 1mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!