Easy Green Beans
There is nothing like fresh beans straight out of your garden or fresh from the farmers market. The easiest way to cook them for a side dish is to blanch them first in salted water and then just to fry them with a bit of olive oil with minced fresh garlic. These are yummy just like this or you could spice it up by adding a pinch of your favourite hot dry spice, lemon zest and lemon juice.
- medium sized stainless steel pot
- 4 cups green beans you could use a mix of yellow and green
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 small garlic cloves minced
- ⅛ tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp pepper
- optional: ¼ tsp hot chili flakes or dried blended hot peppers
- optional: ½ tsp lemon zest
- optional: ½ tsp fresh lemon juice
To flavour the boiling water:
- 1 tbsp kosher salt
- In a medium pot, bring 4 cups of water to a boil. Once boiling, add a tablespoon of kosher salt.
- Add the beans and cook for 5 minutes. Drain and set the beans aside.
- On medium heat, add the olive oil to the pan. Add the garlic and saute for 30 seconds. Add the hot pepper flakes and return the beans to the pan. Saute for 30 seconds more.
- Remove from heat and add the lemon zest and lemon juice. Season with the salt and pepper and serve.
Calories: 68kcalCarbohydrates: 8gProtein: 2gFat: 4gSaturated Fat: 1gSodium: 1826mgPotassium: 232mgFiber: 3gSugar: 4gVitamin A: 796IUVitamin C: 14mgCalcium: 43mgIron: 1mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!