Zucchini Dill Loaf With Toasted Walnuts
When I have fresh zucchini in my garden, this is a must make recipe. Loaded with toasted walnuts and tangy dill and topped with crunchy kosher salt, this loaf is a sweet savory combination that has you coming back for more. I love the flavour and texture of this loaf so much that I started growing dill just to make this recipe. If you don't grow your own zucchini, pick up a couple and make this loaf this year; you won't be disappointed.
- 2-8½ x 5" loaf pans
- box grater with large holes
- optional: food processor with grater attachment
- electric hand mixer
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1½ cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup vegetable oil I like to use grapeseed or safflower oil
- ¾ cup granulated sugar if you prefer a sweeter loaf, you can use up to 1½ cups of sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2½ cups zucchini shredded using a box grater or food processor
- 1 cup walnuts or pecans toasted and chopped (To toast the walnuts, heat them in a fry pan on medium high heat until the outside of the nuts are visibly toasted.)
- ½ cup dill weed chopped
- 2 tsp kosher salt coarse salt for topping the loaf
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and butter the bottom and the sides of the loaf pans.
- In a large bowl, mix together all the dry ingredients.
- In a medium bowl, beat the eggs for one minute. Add the oil and beat for 30 seconds, then add the sugar and beat again for another 30 seconds.
- Add the vanilla to the wet ingredients and then stir in the shredded zucchini.
- Make a well in the centre of the flour mixture. Add the zucchini mixture all at once to the flour mixture. Stir until just moistened. (Batter should be lumpy). Fold in the nuts and the ½ cup dill weed. Spoon the batter into the prepared pans and sprinkle with the kosher salt.
- Bake for 55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centre of the loaf comes out clean. Cool the loaves completely and wrap with plastic wrap and set aside until the next day.
- Serve the next day topped with salted butter.
This loaf is dense but it is super moist because of the shredded zucchini. It tastes great with or without the toasted walnuts.
Serving: 1-sliceCalories: 230kcalCarbohydrates: 23gProtein: 3gFat: 15gSaturated Fat: 9gSodium: 182mgPotassium: 118mgFiber: 2gSugar: 8gVitamin A: 122IUVitamin C: 4mgCalcium: 50mgIron: 1mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!