A recipe for cornbread that, once you try it, you will not want to use another. It can be made with low -fat yogurt and low-fat milk and will still taste just as great. Try serving it alongside barbecued ribs, or with a hot bowl of chili. It is equally delicious sliced warm from the oven and topped with your favourite jelly or jam. This cornbread is also excellent as a base for turkey stuffing that is always a crowd-pleaser.
- 2-Litre (2-quart) casserole or baking dish
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- ½ cup unbleached flour
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- ½ cup milk
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Preheat your oven to 425°F. While your oven is preheating, mix all of the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Combine the wet ingredients (except the butter) in a separate bowl, whisk well.
- Melt the butter in a 2-litre casserole or baking dish in the oven or microwave. Swirl the melted butter around the pan so that you are in effect greasing the bottom and sides of the pan.
- Mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and pour into your prepared pan. Place into your preheated oven and bake for 20-25 minutes or until the centre is done. (When a toothpick comes out clean.)
Note: I double or triple this cornbread recipe and use it in my cornbread stuffing recipe for use in stuffing my holiday turkeys
Calories: 146kcalCarbohydrates: 20gProtein: 5gFat: 5gSaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 47mgSodium: 389mgPotassium: 126mgFiber: 2gSugar: 4gVitamin A: 160IUVitamin C: 1mgCalcium: 120mgIron: 1mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!